Football is a fast-paced, physical sport that can be dangerous. That’s why it’s so important for players to wear the proper safety equipment, including a helmet. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, approximately 1.1 million high school football players were in the US during the 2019-2020 school year. A good helmet can protect your head from serious injury, and it can also give you peace of mind knowing that you’re doing everything you can to stay safe on the field.
Types of Football Helmets
There are many different types of football helmets on the market, so it’s important to research and find one that’s right for you. Some of the factors to consider include:
- Position: The type of helmet you need will vary depending on your position on the field. For example, quarterbacks and receivers need helmets with a wider facemask to protect their faces from getting hit by the ball.
- Age: Helmets are designed for different age groups. Youth helmets are smaller and lighter than adult helmets and have different safety features.
- Fit: Fit is the most important factor to consider when choosing a helmet. The helmet should fit snugly but comfortably on your head. It should not move around when you move your head.
How to Choose the Right Football Helmet
Once you’ve considered the above factors, you’re ready to shop for a helmet. Here are a few tips:
- Try on different helmets: The best way to find the right helmet is to try on a few different ones. This will help you find a helmet that fits well and is comfortable.
- Read the safety ratings: All football helmets must meet certain safety standards. Look for helmets certified by a reputable organization, such as the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE).
- Don’t buy a used helmet: Football helmets are designed to absorb one impact. Once a helmet has been hit, it’s no longer effective at protecting your head.
How to Care for Your Football Helmet
Once you’ve found the right helmet, it’s important to take care of it so that it lasts. Here are a few tips:
- Clean your helmet regularly: Use mild soap and water to clean the outside of your helmet. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners.
- Inspect your helmet regularly: Look for cracks, dents, or other damage. If you find any damage, replace your helmet immediately.
- Store your helmet properly: When you’re not using it, store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or extreme heat.
Choosing the right football helmet is an important decision. By following the tips above, you can find a helmet that’s right for you and that will help keep you safe on the field. League Outfitters offers a wide selection of high-quality products at competitive prices. Shop with us today and be sure to check out our selection of football helmets!
You May Also Like: